To experiment with Mint and DrJava, please do the following:
- Download DrJava with Mint from the JavaMint implementation page. The file will be named drjava-rxxxx-mint-ryyyyy.jar, where xxxx indicates the version of DrJava and yyyyy the version of Java Mint.
- MacOS only: Java Mint requires Java 6. If you have a 32-bit Mac for which Apple does not offer Java 6, you can use Soylatte, but that means DrJava needs to be run under Soylatte as well. Soylatte requires X11 to display graphical user interfaces (GUIs).
- Change your
PATHenvironment variable so that Soylatte's
javaccommands are found first. Edit your
.bashrcfile and add the following line at the end of the file:
- Install Apple's X11. You can find it on your MacOS X installation DVD (preferred!). Here are also some links where you may download X11 (not checked by us -- if you try any of these, please let us know!):
- Start the X11 application. A terminal window should open. Put the cursor in that terminal window -- you will start DrJava from there.
- Change your
- Start DrJava using
java -jar drjava-rxxxx-mint-ryyyyy.jar(in the terminal window on MacOS and Linux; on Windows, you can double-click on the
- Look at the right side of the in the "Compiler Output" pane. There is a drop-down box labeled "Compiler": Select "Mint 6.0_16-Mint" (or something similar). If you don't see it in the list, DrJava could not find Mint. Check that you are running DrJava with Java 6.
- Open a Mint program ("File/Open" menu or "Open" button)
- Compile it ("Tools/Compile All" menu or "Compile" button)
- Run it ("Tools/Run Document's Main Method" menu or "Run" button). The output will be displayed in the "Interactions" pane.